School Innovation and Improvement Plan
An at-a-glance look at outcome goals for this academic school year.
2023-24 School Innovation and Improvement Plan At-a-Glance
Stone Middle School
Sonya Williams, Principal
By the end of the 2023-24 school year, Stone Middle School will have no more than 15% of students missing at or above 10% of the school days.
- Strengthen school team practices to monitor attendance data and determine need for intervention and additional support.
- Strengthening messaging to staff, students and families around attendance to school. Each stakeholder should be able to understand how daily attendance matters, not only for academic success, but because school offers an opportunity to develop social and emotional skills such as listening, paying attention, problem-solving and self-regulation, all which are needed to grow and learn.
- Create a school culture of engagement & belonging for students and families. Every staff, student, and family will feel safe and connected to the school community.
By June 2024, the overall pass rate on the Math SOL will increase by 5% from 86% to 91% overall with all students. Additionally, the students with disabilities subgroup pass rate will increase by 5% moving from 72% to 77%.
- Increase teacher implementation of explicit instruction and other components of effective mathematics intervention.
- Increase school communication about open enrollment to ensure all school staff (including elementary schools) communicate a shared message around open enrollment and mathematics course pathways.
- Improve teachers’ implementation of the Framework for Engaging & Student-Centered Mathematics Instruction.
English Language Arts Strategies
By June 2024, the overall pass rate on the English SOL will increase by 5%.
- Maximize daily instruction and practice in word recognition, reading comprehension, and grammar (Lexia PowerUp).
- Increase explicit routines, structures, and opportunities for students to build a community of readers, writers, and thinkers and to apply SEL skills.
- Utilize small groups and intervention to increase opportunities for students who need more practice to master standards
By June 2024, the overall pass rate on the Science 8 SOL will increase by 5%.
- Increase frequency of student learning experiences that are inquiry-based and hands-on.
- Increase opportunities to develop Tier 3 vocabulary through inquiry-based learning, followed by explicit instruction.
- Expand the type and frequency of formative assessments to evaluate progress throughout units