Summer Learning Opportunities
2022 FCPS Summer Learning Information
Many students participate in summer learning opportunities to advance academically, to sharpen their skills, to learn something new, or to participate in fun fine arts and Career and Technical Education camps, institutes and academies. Fairfax County Public Schools (FCPS) summer learning opportunities include a Credit Recovery Academy that offers credit recovery courses, intervention classes, and test remediation classes; programs and institutes at Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology that provide credit accrual and enrichment opportunities; and Online Campus courses and classes. Career and Technical Education will offer Self-Directed Economics and Personal Finance.
Elementary and secondary Fine Arts and Career and Technical Education enrichment camps, institutes and academies will also be offered. Information about additional programs will be posted as it becomes available on the FCPS Summer Learning webpage.
Institute for the Arts (IFTA): Current grades 6-11
- 2-week session: Tuesday, July 5 – Friday, July 15
- 4-week session: Tuesday, July 5 – Friday, July 29
- *IFTA HPE 9: Tuesday, July 5-Tuesday, July 26 *IFTA HPE 9 classes from June 27-July 1 are held virtually via Zoom
Time: 8:30 a.m. to 2:00 p.m., Monday–Friday
IFTA is a comprehensive arts enrichment and academic program. Students take 4 classes which they choose from among 90 selections. Options include dance, music, theatre, visual art, and fashion classes. Students entering grade 9 may take the Online Health & PE (HPE9) course and students entering grades 9-12 may take the Self-Directed Economics and Personal Finance course as one of their 4 classes.
Registration: Tuesday, March 1-Tuesday, June 21
Online Campus: Current grades 7-12
- Non-SOL courses: Tuesday, June 21-Wednesday, July 20
- SOL courses: Tuesday, June 21-Wednesday, July 21
- IFTA HPE 9: Tuesday, July 5-Tuesday, July 26
- HN Geometry: Tuesday, June 21 – Thursday July 29
- Algebra 2 Head Start: Monday, July 18-Friday, July 22
Time: Synchronous lessons will be between 8 am – 2 pm and will last 60-90 minutes daily.
These courses provide opportunities for credit recovery and acceleration for eligible middle school and high school students.
Registration: Monday, January 17-Friday, June 10
CTE Summer Academy: Current grades 7-11
- Session 1: Monday, July 11 – Friday, July 15
- Session 2: Monday, July 18 – Friday, July 22
- Session 3: Monday, July 25 – Friday, July 29
Time: 8:30 a.m. – 2:00 p.m., daily (Early drop off begins at 7:30 a.m.)
CTE Summer Academy is a weekly enrichment program that allows students to dive deeper into CTE program areas, and encourages skill development and career exploration. Students choose 4 classes to personalize their summer learning experience. Students may register for more than one session and learn all summer long.
Registration: Monday, January 31 – Friday, June 17