Stone MS Grading Policy Revisions as of January 4
In light of the challenges of the 2020-21 school year, four provisional changes have been made to this year’s grading policies. The changes take effect on January 4, 2021, to be applied to the 2nd quarter gradebook through the remainder of the school year
Grading policies apply to all students in all FCPS courses, regardless of level.
When using a 100-point grading scale, 50 percent of an assignment’s value will be the lowest possible score, including the score for work that is not submitted.
- The lowest score possible for a student, even if not completed, will be marked as a 50%.
- The teacher of record will typically record a “comment” such as “Missing” for assignments not turned in, or if a reassessment is offered.
- The purpose of this policy is to mathematically make it possible for a student to recover from various work not completed as an average for the Quarter.
The minimum number of GRADED assignments per quarter is changed from 9 to 6; No one assignment or assessment shall count more than 20% of the total grade for that Quarter.
- Each graded assignment should be a meaningful demonstration of learning.
- The purpose of this policy is ensure each assignment is not overstated in the calculation of grades.
Late work is accepted on all assignments with NO penalty.
- At Stone MS, all assignments/assessments shall be accepted at any point during the Quarter without penalty.
Communication and Feedback
If you have questions about your child’s grade or an assignment, please contact the teacher of record.
All teachers at Stone MS are asked to email manual progress reports every other Friday in efforts to communicate current student progress with parents.
Parents may access student grades through ParentVUE (computer or mobile) and can set up an automatic email to be sent within the app.
Students should make every attempt to attend Teacher Office Hours for academic support.
Stone MS Teacher Office Hours
Teacher office hours will no longer be offered on Mondays. Office hours and intervention will continue to be offered during Panther Block from 9:35 - 10:25.
Students can access individual Teacher Office Hours through Schoology > Student All course after school by appointment.