Do you need some help with your schoolwork? With an expert group of tutors from Westfield High School, the BITS program is available to help. You can come by any Saturday session for assistance. Also, there is no attendance minimum and it is free.
What is BITS
The Bulldog Instructional Tutoring for Students (BITS) program is a free tutoring program available to 3rd – 12th grade students who are currently enrolled in a Fairfax County Public School within the Westfield Pyramid (Cub Run ES, Deer Park ES, Floris ES, London Towne ES, Coates ES, McNair ES, Virginia Run ES, Stone MS, Carson MS and Westfield HS). The program runs for a total of 15 Saturdays from October through May.
BITS is an individualized tutoring program, where students work with other students who have previously mastered the material. Students are grouped by grade and subject material and work closely with the tutors, one-on-one or in small groups. After each session, classroom teachers receive feedback from the students and tutors so that they can monitor their progress.
Time and Location
Westfield HS Library from 10:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.
It is important that students arrive on time. Students should have a full hour’s worth of work at each session.
Student tutors are vital to this program! BITS is looking for Westfield HS students who are interested in helping other students succeed at learning. All student tutors receive 1.5 service hours for each session. Tutors will also receive an extra 1.0 service hour for bringing a first-time student to BITS. Tutors should arrive at 9:45 a.m., and you are welcome to join the program at any time during the school year.
We are also looking for volunteer adult tutors who enjoy working with children and want to supplement the work of our student tutors.
Dates for 2017-2018
October 14, 21, 28
December 2, 9
February 10, 24
March 3, 10, 17
April 7, 28
All that is needed is the Emergency Care Form
You may bring the form the first time you come to a session, e-mail it to firstname.lastname@example.org, or return it to your counselor.
For more information please contact one of the following
- Your Counselor
- Bill Bernstein, BITS Coordinator – (703) 919-0652 or email@example.com
- Justin Simmons, Westfield HS Assistant Principal – (703) 488-6341
- Having a one on one teacher helps a lot.
- BITS is a really good program. It helped me learn math, and I have gotten better at it.
- It helps you understand your subjects. You get engaged in your subjects when you listen to your peers.
- It is not boring.
- It is a good opportunity to work with a lot of different people.
- It makes you smarter.
- 10 out of 10 IGN!
- I could do this all day!
- Being a BITS tutor is a good opportunity to give back to your community and help younger students.
- It lets you know more than you think that you do.